In-gym ab workout: advanced
Hanging leg raises
10 x 2
- Grasp a pull-up bar with your hands shoulder-width apart, using an overhand (pronated) grip.
- Engage your abdominal muscles and while keeping your torso stable, slowly raise your legs, keeping them straight and driving through your glutes, until they’re at 90° with your torso.
- Slowly release your legs back down.
JACKKNIFE SIT UPS
10 x 3
- Lie flat on the floor (or exercise mat) on your back with your arms extended straight back behind your head and your legs extended also.
- This will be your starting position.
- As you exhale, bend at the waist while simultaneously raising your legs and arms to meet in a jackknife position
While inhaling, lower your arms and legs back to the starting position.
AB ROLL OUTS
15 x 2
- Start on your hands and knees on a flat area of floor. Then, hold the bars on either side of the wheel before rolling forward over your hands, arms, and torso with your abs contracted.
8 x 2
- Hang from a bar, pulling down with your lats and engaging your shoulders.
- Squeeze your core to bring your toes up toward the bar.
6 x 1
- Get into position on a bench with your hands next to your head, gripping the edges of the bench.
- Bend your knees and bring your thighs to 90 degrees, and then contract and pull your torso up towards the ceiling. You should have a partial dragon flag with your knees bent at 90 degrees.
- Once lifted, slowly lower your legs in a controlled motion without letting any part of your body touch the bench other than the upper back and shoulder. If you cave in, drop your hips, or arch your back, you don’t have the strength yet and you should not continue the exercise.
- Lower your body until it is hovering just over the bench.
HANGING OBLIQUE KNEE RAISES
15 x 2
- Take a grip on pull-ups bars; hang with your knees together and your body straight. This will be your starting position.
- Start the movement by flexing the hips and knees, drawing the legs up. Pull the knees up into one side, going above 90 degrees at the hip. Avoid any swinging, performing the exercise with control.
- Return to the starting position and then perform the movement to the other side. Continue alternating until the set in complete.
make a change.
Get in touch